I closed in the shed last week. After much debate, I decided to use regular 6mil construction plastic to cover it. My other option was greenhouse plastic. Construction plastic has no UV resistance, greenhouse plastic does and lasts 4 years or more. I intend to have Catalpa back in the water next summer so I think the construction plastic will hold up for that long. It was half the price.
Hanging the plastic on the frames was a frustrating and difficult job. The pieces for the sides were 32 x 20. I should have enlisted help but I needed to get it done. I had about a two day window where there was no wind. This time of year we seem to have ‘small craft advisories’ every day. Putting up the plastic in 30+ knots of wind would have been impossible. The day after I finished it the wind went up to 40 and it held together. We have some kind of winter storm advisory for this weekend so the shed is going to get tested again. I still have a few things to do on it. I’m having condensation issues on the inside so I’m going to hang some more plastic to keep the moisture away from the deck.
I was able to winterize the motor and get a few small projects done so some of my boat work has started. It feels good to actually start working on the boat and not the shed. Naturally the shed took up twice the amount of time and probably cost more than I anticipated. As a rule any boat related project seems to go that way so I’m not surprised.